You have just prepared garden beds in your UK garden, and cats from neighborhood immediately get into the habit to arrange a public toilet there. If the situation is familiar to you, let`s find the way to stop cats pooping in your garden.
Why do cats poop on the beds?
Cats` wastes are not fertilizer. They are even dangerous. Cats can become a source of infection of a dangerous disease – toxoplasmosis. It is dangerous especially for pregnant women. Cats can infect children with worms. Vegetables grow in the beds, insufficiently washed carrots, turnips become a source of infection with ascariasis or hymenolepidosis.
How to keep cats away from the garden
Provide sharp favor for uninvited guests. To do this, scatter and spray plants on the beds where seedlings are planted or the bed has just been dug up. Use the following.
- Apply finely chopped fresh citrus peel (orange, tangerine, lemon). You can cut fresh lemon into small pieces and scatter it over garden beds.
- Instead of citrus fruits, use essential oils. Apply essential oil of any citrus, bergamot, fir, eucalyptus, cinnamon, peppermint on small pieces of cloth and spread them along the beds.;
- Pour dry mustard, finely crumbled dry bay leaves around the perimeter of garden bed.
- Scatter fresh geranium (pelargonium) leaves over the ground.
- Cats do not tolerate the pungent smell of vinegar and ammonia. Apply the products to the pieces of fabric and spread them out on the beds.
- Cats are scared off by smells of fresh garlic and onions. Peel them from the husk, finely chop them, scatter them in the garden.
- Sprinkle ground red and black pepper over the ground.
- Spread dry branches of raspberries, gooseberries, and barberry on top of the plantings. The branches are prickly, and the paws of cats are tender, once pricked, another time the cats will not go there.
- Cover garden beds where carrots, beets, parsley are sown with a film, burlap, spunbond.
- Plant marigolds around the perimeter of the beds, their pungent smell will also scare away cats. In addition, marigolds will protect the plantings from insect pests.
- Cats love dry and loosened ground. The soil, abundantly watered, is unlikely to attract cats.
Although cats bring much trouble in the garden, we still love them. Moreover, they catch rodents. However, educational and restrictive measures will not hurt.
Image by PublicDomainPictures from Pixabay