It would not be an exaggeration to say that a garden bench is a very necessary thing in a suburban area in the UK. If you install a bench in the shade, then it will be nice to rest on it in summer in hot weather. To sit on it and watch the sunset in the evening is no less pleasant.
If you are wondering about garden seating ideas, you need to note for yourself a number of fundamental requirements that your garden bench must satisfy.
- It should be made of affordable materials that are not difficult to bring to the country.
- Its should be comfortable.
- Its design should be rather simple, so that you can make it with your own hands without using a special tool.
- It should tolerate outdoor conditions well, i.e. it should stand in the open air and not lose its appearance and functional qualities.
- It can be made multifunctional if it is a bench with storage.
Tips how to build a garden bench
Below you can find a step-by-step guide for making a bench.
- Decide on the required size of the bench. It is necessary to rely on the number of people who will presumably sit on it. It is better to make it a little longer, or add one spare seat to the desired length just in case you should look for an additional chair for an unexpected guest.
- Make a drawing, then it will be much easier for you to calculate how much material you will need.
- To make it easier for you to determine the basic dimensions, see an example of generally accepted sizes that will allow you to create a comfortable bench.
- The height of the seat should be in the range of 45-55 cm (18-22 inches) from the floor, depending on the average height of all users. This height is optimal, because the legs bent at the knees will form the correct angle, approximately equal to 90 degrees.
- The depth of the seat is most convenient if it is 50-60 cm (20-24 inches). This allows you to take a comfortable position and relieves the load from your back and knees when sitting.
- The height of the backrest, if planned, should reach the level of the shoulder blades. This is approximately 40-50 cm (16-20 inches) depending on the height of the person.
These rules are not mandatory. These are just standard indicators that are used by furniture factories in production and are designed for the parameters of the average person.
- Decide on the material for making the bench. Perhaps you don’t want to use wood, then you can choose metal, combined or even concrete garden bench.
- You can start making a bench according to your drawing. At the same time, you can do everything with your own hands or attract assistants, hire workers.
Good luck in creating your garden bench!
Image by artemtation from Pixabay